BBO Discussion Forums: Responding to opener's splinter rebid - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Responding to opener's splinter rebid

#1 User is offline   harikannan 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-December-20, 22:46

Opps silent throughout, i opened 1d, partner responded 1s. I rebid 3h (splinter). What is the difference between 3s and 4s rebids by partner here? Is 3s forcing, or shows wasted values in hearts and minimum original response; therefore, passable? Thanks in advance.

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-December-20, 23:34

I’m afraid that the answer is: it depends

It may sound trite but: if the splinter was forcing to game, then 3S is forcing

If, otoh, the splitter was invitational or invitational + then 3S is an offer to play there

In either case, 4S over 3H denies any slam interest…with slam interest, responder cuebids

What he holds for 4S depends on whether 3H was game force

Fwiw I like 3H to be invitational or better, reserving 4H to show specifically a void. This isn’t mainstream, but it isn’t rare either.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-December-21, 08:00

The idea of a splinter being forcing to game is not always a good idea imo. Responder in response to a 1m opening bid will especially in the 2/1 system bid 1 or 1 with the minimum of values to try to improve the contract, though usually if they have bid 1M with less strength, the suit will be five cards such as /Kxxxx or QJxxx. Though a 9 card fit will be better than a 8 card one, obviously.

If the 1M response has been made on something like Axxx Qxx xxx xxx then you are going to need plenty of good cards from opener to fill the gaps and make 4M a viable contract, so again having a splinter as invitational seems preferable.

I think that you also have to closely define what hands (HCPs, distributional points and hand shapes) opener rebids a splinter with also.

#4 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-December-21, 09:53

View PostLBengtsson, on 2022-December-21, 08:00, said:

I think that you also have to closely define what hands (HCPs, distributional points and hand shapes) opener rebids a splinter with also.

And also what hands bid 1m - 1M - 3M (5422’s around strong NT opening strength? flat ugly 18’s that should have been downgraded to a 1NT opening?)

#5 User is offline   harikannan 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2022-December-21, 21:43

Thanks first. My splinter meant singleton and 19-21 total points (gib description) since i was playing arena challenge. I passed 3s and missed game.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users