BBO Discussion Forums: Weak NO Trump and 1444 12-14 hands hands - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weak NO Trump and 1444 12-14 hands hands

#1 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2011-October-30, 14:33

I suspect this has been discussed at length elsewhere but can't find anything; if it has please direct me there. Also, this isn't a question about weak Vs strong NT, as economists say, there are no right answers, only trade off's.

Playing 12-14NT and 4-card majors RHO deals and passes and you pick up this hand:

KJ74
A953
A654

You can put your mortgage on partner bidding 1 no matter which suit you bid.

From what I understand a number of Acol players play up the line so would start with 1. But what do you do if partner goes straight to 1?

A response of 1NT over 1 would normally show 15/16 pts and 2-level bid is a reverse if you open 1/ with the intention of bidding hearts next time round.

If you open 1 and then 2 over partners 1 they will take you for 5/4. I suppose they are reasonable hearts but good enough for a little white lie?

Is this hand suitable for Crowhurst?

Are there any other gadgets that help?

As always, thanks in advance,

Simon

#2 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, Climbing, Mathematics, Programming, Linux, Reading, Bridge.

Posted 2011-October-30, 14:36

I would usually open this hand 1, planning to rebid 2 over partner's 1. I'm not promising extra values, and we're unlikely to get into too big a mess if partner assumes I have 5 diamonds.

#3 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2011-October-30, 14:58

SimonFa, on 2011-October-30, 14:33, said:

Playing 12-14NT and 4-card majors RHO deals and passes and you pick up this hand:

KJ74
A953
A654

Is Pass an option?
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#4 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-30, 15:08

RMB1, on 2011-October-30, 14:58, said:

Is Pass an option?

I suppose so but from everything I read we should always strain to open.

#5 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-30, 16:13

Pass is an option but make it a 13-count and pass isn't an option.

Playing weak notrump you can't open this hand 1, for the reason you give.

The hand is not suitable for crowhurst. I am not sure if it is possible to construct a rebid scheme after
1-1
1NT-2*
?
which allows opener to have this hand and also allows him to have a balanced 15-17, It may be possible. But even so, it is probably not worthwhile. Better just to rebid 2. Then on occasions you may end up in a silly 2 or 3 contract. But at least you will have a much smother auction when opener has the balanced 15-17 and responder doesn't have to worry about the possibility that opener has this hand.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-30, 16:53

helene_t, on 2011-October-30, 16:13, said:

Pass is an option but make it a 13-count and pass isn't an option.

Playing weak notrump you can't open this hand 1, for the reason you give.

You can, but you have to suck up rebidding 2.

If you are 4441, a number of people will open 1 and rebid 2 over 2. I'm much happier admitting to a 5th I don't have than a 5th .

#7 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-October-30, 18:04

I open 1D and rebid 2C over 1S.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#8 User is offline   rbforster 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-30, 18:48

Is 1NT an option?

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-October-31, 03:51

With 1444 shape, playing (very) traditional Acol you open 1H (the suit below the singleton) or playing modern (even middle aged) Acol you open 1D. Up-the-line only applies to 4432 hands and, in standard EBU Acol, you open the major with 4M4m hands anyway. The usual advice for modern Acolites with 4441 hands is to open 1C with a sgl diamond, 1H with a sgl club, or 1D with a major suit sgl. If you do not like opening 1H with 4=4=4=1 shape then you need to open 1D and use some form of gadget to resolve things later. There was also another thread on this a few weeks ago you might like to run a search for.
(-: Zel :-)

#10 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-31, 04:54

My preferred method for a while has been to open all 12-14 4441 hands 1NT. Of 5332/4432/4333/4441 hands, the latter shape only counts for 6% - so, if you do hold AKQxxx and plan to bid a slim-values 3NT, you have a ~98.5% chance that partner has two or more cards with you. The one time I bid to 3NT on slightly dodgy values holding AKQxxx of a suit and partner held a singleton, they split 3-3 :)

The benefits are, of course, that suit opening/rebid always promises 5-4, and defence have to consider the possibility of 4441 in decl's hand while normal stayman/transfers etc are unaffected. It's not that crazy a system given a lot of people will open 1x and rebid 1NT with 4441 but enough points for 1NT rebid.

ahydra

#11 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-October-31, 05:02

ahydra, on 2011-October-31, 04:54, said:

My preferred method for a while has been to open all 12-14 4441 hands 1NT. Of 5332/4432/4333/4441 hands, the latter shape only counts for 6% - so, if you do hold AKQxxx and plan to bid a slim-values 3NT, you have a ~98.5% chance that partner has two or more cards with you.

How did you get to this 98.5% figure? I hope you didn't just divide 6% by 4 and substracted the result from 100%!
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#12 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-October-31, 18:40

Gwnn still believes in correlation.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#13 User is offline   flametree 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-01, 00:28

@ ahydra

It isn't so much the dodgy 3NT contracts you end up in that would worry me, it's the (vulnerable) 5-1 fits at the 2-level when partner makes a weak take-out...

Back to the OP, 12-point hands and this shape can definitely be passed. Particularly if you have a black singleton, where the rebids are an issue. Getting in first is usually a good tactics but by passing you often get to make a truly descriptive takeout double next time.

It can often be simplest to open 1C or 1D and plan to rebid the suit. Particularly if the singleton is a club - open 1D and rebid 2D if partner bids 2C. The alternative is to open 1H and rebid 2D, after which my partners often seem to think honour doubleton in their hand is plenty enough for a jump to 4H. They're usually less enthusiastic about jumping to game when they think I have 5x diamonds.

#14 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-01, 02:48

Thanks all.

I discussed the partner I play Acol with and we agreed that that for 1444 hands we would open 1D and rebid 2C over a 1S response. The main reason being the one noted above, people tend to get less excited about minor suit fits.

#15 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-November-02, 04:47

Ow boy, Lurpoa has gone nuts again...

When I play weak NT, I prefer to open 1NT with every 4441 in that HCP range, even with a small singleton. I haven't had any disasters, and opps seldom consider the fact that opener may have a singleton, even when it was alerted and explained. It's quite rare that partner transfers and passes (which is the worst that can happen), usually partner transfers and rebids NT after which LHO doesn't lead our singleton but develops one of our suits. :)
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#16 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-November-02, 06:24

Free, on 2011-November-02, 04:47, said:

Ow boy, Lurpoa has gone nuts again...

When I play weak NT, I prefer to open 1NT with every 4441 in that HCP range, even with a small singleton. I haven't had any disasters, and opps seldom consider the fact that opener may have a singleton, even when it was alerted and explained. It's quite rare that partner transfers and passes (which is the worst that can happen), usually partner transfers and rebids NT after which LHO doesn't lead our singleton but develops one of our suits. :)

But not as yet in this thread...

Over a weak NT I think 2red - 2M - pass is quite a common auction. For this reason (and more) I am happy opening 1NT with a small singleton in a minor but much less so with a small singleton in a major.

#17 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2011-November-02, 08:31

Zelandakh, on 2011-November-02, 06:24, said:

Over a weak NT I think 2red - 2M - pass is quite a common auction. For this reason (and more) I am happy opening 1NT with a small singleton in a minor but much less so with a small singleton in a major.

I disagree, most people play constructive overcalls over a weak NT. That means they don't bid on trash (like after strong 1NT) which lowers the frequency of overcalls. But more important, many play 2red as: 2 = multi / 2 = 5 & 4+m. Over here at least, I don't know about other regions. So the 2 overcall is even less frequent, and after a 2 overcall we have a specific defense.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#18 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-November-02, 09:30

2red is from partner (Jacoby transfer). Not sure what Multi-Landy has to do with this.

#19 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-November-02, 12:45

We open 1NT with all 1444 and 4441 hands in range and some 4414 and 4144 hands.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#20 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2011-November-03, 03:08

Cascade, on 2011-November-02, 12:45, said:

We open 1NT with all 1444 and 4441 hands in range and some 4414 and 4144 hands.

Why "some"? When do you do it, and when not? (if we want to help B/I we need to give an explanation ;) )

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users