• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Beta test of new client 1.47n test

#41 User is offline   PeppeA 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-October-26, 11:58

Let me say, pls, that i hate new settings for robot tourneys; I never played with dummy's cards close to me and mines as declarer far and in front of me. This is terribly confounding me: i must continuously remember who is the dummy and who's the declarer and which cards are hidden and which ones are shown to the opponents :-(

#42 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-27, 16:10

Over all I still do not like the browser version. The download version is more user friendly for my eyes and it is easier to read the cards and I am not getting tired as fast as with the new version. Any improvement in this topic would be the critical improvement making the new version more attractive for me. I am acutally using both versions. The browswer version for directing and organizing the friends but very often changing to the download version for pure playing.

Concerning the last changes here my comments

1) ISSUE?
when trying to create a movie I could not upload a lin file. When I tried to call the help I got an error that this side of BBO is no longer existing ...?

2) The list of tourneys is still incomplete (restricted for 2 hours)

3) I like the context information shown when the mouse is pointing to a line. It would be great to have a similar functionality for the players profiles and the kibs too.

4) Is it possible to include into this context information if there is a restriction in the tourney? It is annoying when I have to click into 10 or more tourneys to find out which one I will be allowed to play.

5) ISSUE !!
When playing a tourney the layout of the table has changed. The box on the left upper corner is so big that some cards of the dummy are "covered". Cards in this area cannot be selected. Maybe this has something to do with the Translation? In German there is "Matchpunkte (Paar)" which might be too long?

#43 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-October-27, 20:30

View PostPeppeA, on 2012-October-26, 11:58, said:

Let me say, pls, that i hate new settings for robot tourneys; I never played with dummy's cards close to me and mines as declarer far and in front of me. This is terribly confounding me: i must continuously remember who is the dummy and who's the declarer and which cards are hidden and which ones are shown to the opponents :-(

It seems like we can't win. When we first came out with "human declares" people complained that they had trouble matching up the auction with the players because everything flipped around. We made this change to straighten that out.

Both ways have some confusing aspects, and it's not clear that there's concensus on which is less bad. Maybe we'll eventually give in and make it a user option, although we generally try to minimizd the number of options.

#44 User is offline   PeppeA 

• Pip

Posted 2012-October-28, 10:33

View Postbarmar, on 2012-October-27, 20:30, said:

It seems like we can't win. When we first came out with "human declares" people complained that they had trouble matching up the auction with the players because everything flipped around. We made this change to straighten that out.

Both ways have some confusing aspects, and it's not clear that there's concensus on which is less bad. Maybe we'll eventually give in and make it a user option, although we generally try to minimizd the number of options.

Of course i'd be very glad if i could have a personal option to set this matter; i think it is such a personal question, that it could be solved only this way. Thanks to the wonderful team for caring.

#45 User is offline   mila6452 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-November-01, 12:52

I think the Movie Maker is so wonderful tool that one can open a topic for it to receive feedback and suggestions for this tool.
I have a big request:
- Could you connect the "Help" button to a real content, or remove the help button. The actual situation is very ugly and annoying: we get an error message for each HELP button. :( :( This is not professional!

small question:
- how to use the "Modify deal" ? Seems to me it always modifies the whole deal and go back to the first card, but not in the reality. So my frames and actions are broken.
I thought I can modify some cards only and continue the frames with this modification. This function is missing!

Is there a place where we can report error(s) about Movie Maker?

#46 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-01, 14:30

View Postmila6452, on 2012-November-01, 12:52, said:

I think the Movie Maker is so wonderful tool that one can open a topic for it to receive feedback and suggestions for this tool.
I have a big request:
- Could you connect the "Help" button to a real content, or remove the help button. The actual situation is very ugly and annoying: we get an error message for each HELP button. :( :( This is not professional!

small question:
- how to use the "Modify deal" ? Seems to me it always modifies the whole deal and go back to the first card, but not in the reality. So my frames and actions are broken.
I thought I can modify some cards only and continue the frames with this modification. This function is missing!

The Help files were fixed recently. Can you clear cache and try again?

#47 User is offline   mila6452 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-November-01, 17:21

View Postdiana_eva, on 2012-November-01, 14:30, said:

The Help files were fixed recently. Can you clear cache and try again?

Thanks Eva, the help works now for me.

I have read the help of the "modify deal". Seems the function does not work on the way you designed.
Could you check and fix the error, please?

In addition: I guess that you would store only the changes made on the deal not the whole deal! (or this is the source of the error?)

#48 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-01, 23:04

View Postmila6452, on 2012-November-01, 17:21, said:

Thanks Eva, the help works now for me.

I have read the help of the "modify deal". Seems the function does not work on the way you designed.
Could you check and fix the error, please?

In addition: I guess that you would store only the changes made on the deal not the whole deal! (or this is the source of the error?)

Send me a private message please and tell me the number of the doc you are working on. I suspect you are using the effects in the wrong order, but maybe there is a bug somewhere - the software is still pretty much experimental.

#49 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-November-02, 12:55

View Postmila6452, on 2012-November-01, 12:52, said:

You can report bugs in the BBO Support Forum. If volume warrants, maybe we'll spawn a dedicated forum for it sometime in the future, but I suspect that won't be necessary.

#50 User is offline   patroclo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-06, 16:13

I have tried to make a movie showing a two player hand (east and west). But it is impossible.

#51 User is offline   mila6452 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-November-07, 01:51

View Postpatroclo, on 2012-November-06, 16:13, said:

I have tried to make a movie showing a two player hand (east and west). But it is impossible.

you have to set your hand to kibitz it (e.g.: East) in the "Deal Properties" action. Than the dummy (West) you will see automatically after the leading play.

#52 User is offline   jdgalt 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Also a board game player (I'm "jdgalt" on BoardGameGeek, too).

Posted 2012-November-22, 18:06

View Postbarmar, on 2012-October-27, 20:30, said:

Both ways have some confusing aspects, and it's not clear that there's consensus on which is less bad. Maybe we'll eventually give in and make it a user option, although we generally try to minimizd the number of options.

More user options are a good thing. There should be one to make the robots play standard instead of 2/1, too.

Edited to add:
It would be helpful if the hand I set down as dummy before I walked around the table were labeled as Dummy rather than Robot (after all, the robot is never going to do anything with it anyway). Would that be easier than changing the view?

#53 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-November-23, 11:14

View Postjdgalt, on 2012-November-22, 18:06, said:

More user options are a good thing. There should be one to make the robots play standard instead of 2/1, too.

Not likely to happen. As I explained in another thread a few weeks ago, it would probably be at least 6 months of programming work to write a bidding system.

#54 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-September-14, 11:10

View PostPeppeA, on 2012-October-26, 11:58, said:

You aren't going to please everyone. I prefer it the way that it currently works, with the hand that I bid remaining in the South seat whether I am declarer or dummy. When the entire table is rotated I tend to get confused about which opponent showed which suit in a contested auction.
In cases like this there is a strong case for a user-configurable option.

This is one other area where the mobile version is lagging behind. Which is a shame because interface warts and all I prefer playing on a tablet.
Maybe I should get myself a Windows 8 tablet. They use Flash, right?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users