• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Forums

#201 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-November-08, 09:26

where 400 and 300 are the dimensions of the display I want.

I just changed the dimensions to 600|400 .... to test it out:

It does work... thx !
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#202 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-08, 11:46

What was wrong with the forum friend feature?

I was just learning how to benefit from this feature....

#203 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-08, 13:20

We were experimenting with some of the new features that came with the software. Now we think perhaps eventually getting BBO Friends into forum would be more fun than having posters create a separate list of friends in BBF.

Other things are incoming at the usual careful pace. :)

--------
A quick word on voting for post reputation:
We actually tried to figure out a way to enable this today, but couldn't see one. Not going to tweak this anymore unless there's a good reason. Though figuring out a way to let experienced voters vote more than newcomers is a goal.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#204 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-09, 22:50

View PostRain, on 2010-November-08, 13:20, said:

We were experimenting with some of the new features that came with the software. Now we think perhaps eventually getting BBO Friends into forum would be more fun than having posters create a separate list of friends in BBF.

Other things are incoming at the usual careful pace. :)

--------
A quick word on voting for post reputation:
We actually tried to figure out a way to enable this today, but couldn't see one. Not going to tweak this anymore unless there's a good reason. Though figuring out a way to let experienced voters vote more than newcomers is a goal.

There used to be a PM button to reply privately to a post...I dont see one now?

#205 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-10, 00:30

View Postmike777, on 2010-November-09, 22:50, said:

There used to be a PM button to reply privately to a post...I dont see one now?

On the left side, under the dots that indicate the number of posts made, there is an envelope icon to send a pm.

#206 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2010-November-10, 05:46

Why can't I search for "2NT invitational raise"? :(

(And why can't I search for posts by number of votes?)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#207 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-10, 18:15

View PostRain, on 2010-November-08, 13:20, said:

After giving it some thought,I think that this is probably not a good idea.

Since nobody got a feedback if marked as friend in BBO, I used the friends list for other purposes too.
Inside BBO people got on my friends list if:
I like them,
I knew them in real life,
people where from my country (long ago when the Windows-Client had no "sort" options),
we played decent bridge together at least once,
they asked politely about participation in one of the tourneys I directed or
if they were some sort of bridge VIPs.

In the forum people are informed, if you mark them as friend.
Forum friends would be:
people I like or
people who write good post and start interesting topics.

#208 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-10, 21:38

What purpose does forum friending serve?

I think it would actually be more useful if forum friends were marked as BBO friends than the other way around.

I consider my BBO friend list private and would be a bit annoyed if the list were imported to the forums and people were notified that they were marked as my friends.

#209 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2010-November-11, 04:49

Anything on new colour schemes?

I got used to this one, but I did not "grow to like it".
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#210 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-14, 13:22

Was chatting with another forum member, and thought some more about the current set-up.

It would be nice to have additional skin choices for those who do not like the current one, as I mentioned before, there are some nice looking free ones available.

I really do think that voting posts down should be allowed, imo, mainly to let people know that they're posting in the wrong forums, but also to help people who are learning the game distinguish good thoughts from bad thoughts. Some posters have developed the ability to make very authoritative and convincing sounding posts when in reality their ideas are bad and most of the actual experts on this forum would disagree with them.

Although the handviewer diagrams look nice, I have several issues with them:
1) they don't always show the full auction, forcing us to scroll, which is certainly not optimal, and actually a pain in the @$$.
2) they take quite a while to load, so opening a page that has several hand diagrams on it can take a not insignificant amount of time.
3) When I adjust the font size for the page to make it more legible(on firefox using the ALT+ method, but i imagine similar on other browsers) the fonts in the hand diagram increase as well, making the hands suits overlap one another.
I am not sure what the best solution is, but a solution would be if it were possible for the scripts to generate an image of the hand from an iframe, rather than displaying the javascript generated graphics. Also, no clue how hard it would be to have the whole auction show up at once.

I find that the amount of screen space available to edit a post is abysmal. It's about 6cm vertically on the monitor, with all sorts of random buttons, and such all over the place. I would much rather have most of my browser window taken up by space where I can edit my post than other crap. Even when I make the font size fairly small, I can only see about 12 lines of text and have to scroll around to check something that I had written before, or that is in a quote.

Lastly*, I've not played around with this too much (or at all) but it might be the case that the hidden/spoiler bits also take a little bit longer to load. is there any way to bring back invisible text?

(* for now)

#211 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2010-November-14, 17:45

View Postmatmat, on 2010-November-14, 13:22, said:

Was chatting with another forum member, and thought some more about the current set-up.

It would be nice to have additional skin choices for those who do not like the current one, as I mentioned before, there are some nice looking free ones available.

I really do think that voting posts down should be allowed, imo, mainly to let people know that they're posting in the wrong forums, but also to help people who are learning the game distinguish good thoughts from bad thoughts. Some posters have developed the ability to make very authoritative and convincing sounding posts when in reality their ideas are bad and most of the actual experts on this forum would disagree with them.

Although the handviewer diagrams look nice, I have several issues with them:
1) they don't always show the full auction, forcing us to scroll, which is certainly not optimal, and actually a pain in the @$$.
2) they take quite a while to load, so opening a page that has several hand diagrams on it can take a not insignificant amount of time.
3) When I adjust the font size for the page to make it more legible(on firefox using the ALT+ method, but i imagine similar on other browsers) the fonts in the hand diagram increase as well, making the hands suits overlap one another.
I am not sure what the best solution is, but a solution would be if it were possible for the scripts to generate an image of the hand from an iframe, rather than displaying the javascript generated graphics. Also, no clue how hard it would be to have the whole auction show up at once.

I find that the amount of screen space available to edit a post is abysmal. It's about 6cm vertically on the monitor, with all sorts of random buttons, and such all over the place. I would much rather have most of my browser window taken up by space where I can edit my post than other crap. Even when I make the font size fairly small, I can only see about 12 lines of text and have to scroll around to check something that I had written before, or that is in a quote.

Lastly*, I've not played around with this too much (or at all) but it might be the case that the hidden/spoiler bits also take a little bit longer to load. is there any way to bring back invisible text?

(* for now)

Agree on most of this, however I am strongly against Negative Votes. Not sure if you kept up with this full thread (I know I did not), but the last time I was looking at it, someone mentioned why Negative votes is a very bad idea. Basically, I don't think people should be allowed to freely vote a post down. It could be used as an act of "revenge" or just if someone points out that you are wrong, or are in a minority. I think that allowing + votes is good, and that - ones should not be allowed.

On your last point, you can still "make" text invisible by setting the font colour to white.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#212 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2010-November-15, 16:01

I've noticed this one twice, since I've started using the "view new posts" setup:

I'll "view new posts", and then go off and do work for a bit. When I get back, if I choose to go to page 2 of the VNP, it will rerun the search and give me the new posts since 0930 this morning, and I can never get the old one back. Also, I can't see a way to "view all posts since <time>", so even if I do know the time I want to start from, I can't do it.

Is there something stupid I'm missing here?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#213 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-November-17, 00:40

It's just like the old forums -- if you're idle for too long, it's as if you logged out and back in. Everything from before the logout is old.

#214 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 05:51

Formating your post.

How do you "space" properly ??

I noticed in someone's post in a reply that a feature that was properly spaced had this in front of it:
[indent] ... EDIT: I also see a [ /indent ] at the end of that copy which is to be spaced.

But how do you use that function ?

I recall in the old forums, I had to click on [ space ] quite a few times ( tedious ) for proper spacing.

Now I don't see [ space ] or [indent] as options to click on ??

EDIT: I got it to work when I typed out : "indent" and "/indent" .... each in brackets [...]
in an original post.
It would be nice to "click on" something instead of having to type [ indent ] etc..

But then I also noticed that the "indent" function wouldn't work in an EDIT post... strange.
Maybe I have to click on "Full editor"...
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift

#215 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 06:24

Indent is a paragraph option. You find it in the 2nd icon line on the right, it is the 1st icon of the block from the left side.

#216 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 08:48

View PosthotShot, on 2010-November-18, 06:24, said:

Indent is a paragraph option. You find it in the 2nd icon line on the right, it is the 1st icon of the block from the left side.

Thx hotshot....
I see it now.
and apparently it works....
even for me who is a instruction-challenged.

Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE

#217 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2010-November-18, 17:25

View Postbarmar, on 2010-November-17, 00:40, said:

It's just like the old forums -- if you're idle for too long, it's as if you logged out and back in. Everything from before the logout is old.
Okay, that makes sense. It would be nice if there was a way to do that search after the "logout" happened, though.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#218 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-21, 15:53

I'm constantly irritated that the icon for locked threads is a bright one which looks like it has unread posts in it. It should be changed to a less conspicuous icon.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#219 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-22, 04:05

I've noticed this twice now: whenever I use the multiquote feature, all the line breaks are stripped from what I'm quoting. Makes the feature nearly useless for certain quotes.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#220 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-26, 04:56

Did some of the forum colors change?

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic